Become an Expert by Experience
We are currently recruiting volunteers to the Expert by Experience role. If you are interested in becoming an Expert by Experience please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01773 880786 for an application form.
What skills do I need to be an Expert by Experience?
As a minimum, Experts by Experience must have the following skills:
- Good listening skills and the ability to communicate well with a wide range of people
- Good understanding of health and social care, particularly in their area of expertise
- Commitment to working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Ability to record information, and share that information with other people
- Ability to put themselves in someone else’s position and understand things from other people’s perspectives
- A flexible and positive attitude
What support will I get as an Expert by Experience?
The service will ensure that people who get involved:
- Have a full induction to MHT and their role
- Can attend peer support meetings – we hold a bi-monthly peer support meeting for all service receivers and carers actively involved in MHT
- Have access to training – we will provide training opportunities that are useful and relevant to the role
- Are reimbursed for all out of pocket expenses in line with our involvement policy
- What do Experts by Experience do?
- They help gather information from their own communities and networks, about what people think is good and bad about services, and their ideas for improvement. E.g. from groups they attend, friends, their local community etc.
- They attend meetings that allow them to share their own experiences, and those of others.
- They help services look for solutions to issues that have been identified.
High Peak Engagement Group
This group was set up in partnership with Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust to bring together the voice of service receivers and carers in the High Peak. MHT has been facilitating these meeting since May and have been so pleased with the attendance of service receivers, carers and a range of professionals. It has been particularly encouraging to have staff attending from Stepping Hill in-patient facilities where people from High Peak are sometimes admitted. Here are some of the things that people have said about the meetings:
We felt completely abandoned before these meetings started
Finding an (engagement) group especially for the High Peak has been very valuable
The Group meets once every 5/6 weeks on a Thursday in Buxton from 1:00 – 3:00pm. If you live in the High Peak and want to come along please do contact us for more details.